Thursday, October 11, 2007

August Completed


Whew, I think it is done, for now anyway. I keep looking at it and thinking I need to add more, yet I am going to stop now. This kind of sums up the incredible times at Burning Man for me this year. The theme was the Green Man and I couldn't do a BM piece without the Man. I also had to add some of the playa (dry lakebed) in as well, as we lived through dust storm after dust storm this year and it was so incredible. The rainbow came in one afternoon as we were in the middle of a horrible dust storm and the rains started. I was working with a bunch of people during the storm and the rain, and we all had to stop and take in the wonder of the rainbow, then the double rainbow that appeared during the break in the storm. It was a simple, beautiful moment shared and I will never forget it. Of course the other highlight of the event for me was working in the cafe during the full moon and someone lighting the man on fire early. I stood in the cafe with friends watching the full moon and then seeing the man start to burn. The feelings went from shock to amazement to a feeling of somehow this feels all right, after all this is Burning Man and things happen.

We also had the total lunar eclipse during that week, so the moon was such a part of the event this year, I had to include it. I realized as I worked on this piece that I had to have a palm tree as well, as our camp was the Blue Oasis and my 13 days on the playa were spent at a camp with some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. And it was one of those rare times in my life where I was simply me, with no masks, no worries of what anyone thought of me and felt such complete acceptance regardless. I treasure that feeling and call it back to me when I find myself not being completely authentic in the default world.

It was an awesome experience doing this piece weeks after I returned and reliving moment after moment as I put each bead on my needle. I also realized that this page is truly a journal page for me, as it may not look like much to anyone else, and it may be so simple that it looks unfinished, but it means everything to me. I am finally really taking that in right now and realizing there is no right or wrong or proper or improper way to do this project, except maybe to change something or doubt it b/c of anyone else's opinion. Again another lesson to take to my life :)

Trilly

7 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

I love all the work I see this group doing, but I love the lessons we're learning even more! This whole project has such a clear art/soul connection for me and so many others...obviously it's been that for you too!

Robin said...

Everything about your August BJP is just right! I love the simplicity of it, and the background fabric is so luscious that it would have been hard for me to put any beads on it.

Burning Man is something I've never encountered. I just spent over an hour reading the website. What an amazing and fascinating event.... between your August piece and the website, I'm getting a hankering...

KV said...

Love it, Trilly! Just makes me smile all over and your commentary on the occasion that prompted this page was great, too.


Kathy V in NM

Timaree said...

This is a great page! I love your palm tree. Why couldn't I think of something simple to convey the idea (you'll see what I mean when you see the palm on my August page which isn't done yet. Yeah, I've become a behinder. Your symbols for each thing are really good. Love your Burning Man, palm and everything. This tells a good story.

Quilt Architect said...

Hi, Tilly, I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures at Burning Man. I had a friend go to that event, and it sounded really intense. I know my pyromaniac boys would have loved it.
Enjoyed seeing how you decided to represent this in a beaded journal page. Glad to see that you own these pages as your expression. Only you can share your view point with us through your art. I am enjoying reading about your life.

Any Smith said...

Love your piece and I've always wanted to go to Burning Man. That event sounds so awesome and it must remain with you for a long time.

Trilly said...

Thank you everyone. Burning Man is such an incredible experience, I wish I could find the words to express it more fully, but I think it just can't be adequately expressed in just words. It is something that is experienced, fully, with every sense.